Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving 2013



Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

It is a snowy but sunny day here in my part of the country.  Today is a day of rest and catching up on things around the house for the most part.  Working in retail makes this holiday difficult to do anything but.  I have two long days ahead of me, but I am doing a few festive things to make it feel like a holiday.  I decorated the kitchen table with a small arrangement and I put out a nice cinnamony smelling potpourri.  I have baked a pumpkin pie that looks fabulous if I must say so myself.  My husband and I will have a turkey dinner of smaller proportions, but still Thanksgiving feeling to us.  I have also made my cranberry-apple compote.  This is a simple and easy recipe that beats the can stuff anyday.  This is a great addition to a meal anytime of year and it is terrific with pork as well.  Enjoy!

Cranberry-Apple Compote
1  12 ounce bag of cranberries
2 medium apples peeled, cored and diced (quarter inch dice)
zest of one large orange
juice of one large orange
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup of honey
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
1/3 cup water

Put all ingredients in pot on stove, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer.  Simmer approximately
10 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaportaed.  Taste for sweetness and adjust to your desired sweetness level.  Let cool for 15 minutes then serve.  If you are not serving immediately then store in a covered container in the refrigarator.

you can serve this warmed or chilled.  It is also greet with pork.





No comments:

Post a Comment